Employment Breakfast Briefing: Apprenticeships and Social Media
- A review of the successful engagement and management of apprentices and;
- Guidance on social media and the workplace
WHEN AND WHERE:
We are hosting this breakfast briefing in two locations, Newcastle and Peterlee:
- Wednesday 2 July 2014 from 8.30am to 11.00am at:
TDR, Q1, Quorum Business Park, Benton Lane, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE12 8EX
- Thursday 3 July 2014 from 8.30am to 11.00am at:
Peterlee Venue TBC
WHAT IT WILL COVER:
Taking on apprentices can come with many benefits and can be very rewarding. However, it is important to understand your obligations towards apprentices at the recruitment stage, during the apprenticeship and when terminating the relationship.
Roisin Patton will provide a review of the legal aspects of engaging and managing apprentices. Our host, TDR, will provide valuable insights from both an apprentice and trainer who will share their own experiences.
Social media in the workplace is a prevalent issue for HR professionals yet it can be difficult to know when a tweet or a Facebook comment can lead to disciplinary action. Lucy Bailey will examine this area and provide an overview of how Employment Tribunal’s are approaching the subject.
Jean-Pierre van Zyl will also briefly touch upon the changes to the rules on Flexible Working that will be in force from 30 June 2014.
The format of both events will be:
8.30am – 9.00am – Registration and light refreshments
9.00am – ‘Taking on Apprentices’ by Roisin Patton
- An overview of the legal framework for apprenticeships
- Common issues arising from the apprenticeship relationship
- TDR apprentice and trainer experiences of the apprenticeship journey
9.45am – ‘Social Media in the Workplace’ by Lucy Bailey
- Review of examples of social media disciplinary matters
- Overview of the Employment Tribunal’s approach
- Analysis of other social media issues arising from the employment relationship
10.30am – Coffee
Please note that the venue for the Peterlee seminar will be confirmed shortly. To reserve your free place at either of the events, please contact Lucy Murray on 0843 224 7932 or email firstname.lastname@example.org